Why do I love my life so much?

No more New Year's resolutions for me! This year I picked a theme question to guide and shape my choices. The theme: Why do I love my life so much? I am not seeking answers but rather planting the question as a seed and nuturing it. The research: How does this theme play out in my life and affect those around me? What vibrational impact do I observe? What are my results? Posts build on one another, so best to start with the first one.

Saturday, October 27, 2007

Twists and Turns

I am amused and amazed by the twists and turns my life is taking these days. I am following my curiosity and my inspiration. My private practice is flowing along and the rest of my time is now doing art. Right now that is gourd painting.

It all started when I signed up to submit pieces to the state fair as a way to channel my grief. That reignited my interest in my gourd work. A number of years ago I juried into the Kentucky Crafted Artist program. I had some gourds in a local shop and was always delighted to get an unexpected check. I was discouraged because my medium of choice faded.

Recently I began experimenting with more colorfast medium, trying to get them to behave the way I wanted. Now I am playing with new techniques that capitalize on what the medium likes to do with some delightful (yes, and dreadful) results. I have been reading various "how to" books and adapting them to my technique with the goal of determining a series of gourd projects that I can teach by DVD and in person.

I am currently sidestepping the what to paint problem to try new things using their prototype project. I read about the next technique the night before and if something inspires me I adapt the project. Last night I had the idea to paint a peacock feather. That gourd is stunning in its simplicity. It may become one of my painting themes.

Right now I have my painted gourds piling up like a fruit arrangement on the top of my propane stove behind me. I can see my progress in a glance. Of course, I am delaying turning the heater on for the season. Soon some will go in the trash, and some will move upstairs. I am beginning to gather a new body of work to photograph to enter into juried art shows.

Without giving up my day job, I am living the life of an artist. This turn of events was unimagined last spring. And now I can't imagine not living the artist's way.
Why do I love my life so much?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home