Why do I love my life so much?

No more New Year's resolutions for me! This year I picked a theme question to guide and shape my choices. The theme: Why do I love my life so much? I am not seeking answers but rather planting the question as a seed and nuturing it. The research: How does this theme play out in my life and affect those around me? What vibrational impact do I observe? What are my results? Posts build on one another, so best to start with the first one.

Sunday, September 09, 2007

The Ins and Outs of Suffering

Ahhhh, Suffering as is undergoing pain or distress. In this case mental/emotional suffering. Easily created but tougher to disperse.

To create suffering all I have to do is see something is not be the way I want it or when I want it and make up stories about how it is sabotaging me. I ordered some art supplies last week that still had not arrived on Saturday so I couldn't play on the weekend the way I wanted. That was enough to start my suffering. Nothing big or dramatic. No one was injured, the weather was glorious rain, all is well. And I was irritable! I was feeling thwarted.

That's one simple way into suffering - disappointed expectations. Another is creating unfavorable meaning to events, when there is often no inherent meaning. Negative self talk about myself or others creates it also. Feeling overwhelmed is one of my most practiced ways to suffer and make others suffer as well.

So how to get out of suffering. It just so happened I had started a list of ways out the day before I jumped into my recent bout of suffering. I was prepared. At least I remembered that I had jotted down some ideas to deal with this possibility.

Bill Harris of Centerpointe suggests that I say to myself, " There I am feeling ___________. I must have resistance." Then just notice what is going on in my body, thoughts and emotions with curiosity. Just notice. Observation often transforms feelings.

Ho'oponopono might say the thoughts and feelings causing my suffering are data or memories clouding my perception of how God would see things. Just clean by repeating over and over, "Thank you, I love you, I'm sorry, Please forgive me".

My roommate listens to music or meditates. I decided to be creative and do something else artistic. These might fall into the category of diversion.

Sometimes it is enough for me to notice that I am resisting what is. There is nothing to be done about it so move on. Cleaning Ho'oponopono style keeps my brain busy so I can't make up bigger and worser stories. Being creative or trying to draw or craft something sometimes lifts me up and sometimes discourages me. I now have yet another way to draw a chrysanthemum that doesn't look like one. Maybe the next one will be better. On the other hand a tried a new technique on a gourd I really like.

Perhaps tomorrow my art supplies will arrive. I am eager to see what I can do with them, and I am no longer suffering.

Knowing I can worsen and lighten my suffering all by myself is one way I love my life so much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home