Why do I love my life so much?

No more New Year's resolutions for me! This year I picked a theme question to guide and shape my choices. The theme: Why do I love my life so much? I am not seeking answers but rather planting the question as a seed and nuturing it. The research: How does this theme play out in my life and affect those around me? What vibrational impact do I observe? What are my results? Posts build on one another, so best to start with the first one.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Harvesting my Breakfast

This morning I was out picking dew drenched sugar snap peas. From the vine into my mouth! How yum is that! Well it is a matter of taste I guess. One day I was walking my client past the peas and stopped to pick her a few. Her grandchildren were with her and I offered them each one. They each tried a bite but made a face and spit it out. What a waste of 2 good peas!

Anyway, I have stories about what I didn't used to enjoy. One was beets. Ohhh, yuck!
Every so often mom would clean out and re-organize the canned goods. She would see the beets and exclaim over them and move them to the front of the lineup. Then, when the rest of the family was gone and I was left home alone, I would get down on my hands and knees and move the beets way to the back of the shelf. Out of sight out of mind. It actually worked. I don't know that mom ever caught on. Or she didn't let on to me that she caught on. Now I adore beets, fresh beets that is. Well maybe most all beets. I get them a lot at the farmer's market. I always remember that game mom and I played and smile.

When I first moved to the country I had a great big garden and put up lots of things. With time, it has become easier to buy from the Mennonites down the road and the farmers market. I plant things that I usually can't get like certain varieties of summer and winter squash and yes, sugar snap peas.

My first gladiolus is also coming into bloom today. It will be white in the center with ruffled pink edges. The heat will cause them to bolt so I will pick those and bringthem into the cooler house where I get to enjoy them all the more.

Right now, everything is green and lush. The trees replaced their frost bitten leaves with double or triple the number of leaves. The weather and news people are squalling about the lack of rain. We are 10 inches down from average right now. So people are being redirected into worry about something which we have no control away from the beauty of the moment. Can the "law of expectation" of no rain cause the drought to extend?

Today it is beautiful. I treasure each drop of rain that comes our way. The sun of today, the rain, they all nourish my soul in season. And I love my life all the more for it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home